This was a dream I had to make reality. One of my favorite drinks as a kid was Italian cream soda and I still love them just as much to this day, but now I also love matcha!
What’s an Italian Cream Soda anyways?
The ultimate in sweet refreshment, Italian Cream Soda is a classic Italian beverage beloved for its creamy taste. Made with a simple syrup and soda water, it also includes a dash of cream and flavorings like vanilla, chocolate and coconut. Perfect for any time of day, this delicious soda is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Enjoy on its own or with the addition of some delicious Italian cookies. Get your Italian Cream Soda fix today!
Matcha is delicious and good for you because it is full of antioxidants and minerals. It has high concentrations of catechins, which are known for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as high amounts of L-theanine, an amino acid known for providing a calming effect. Matcha also contains chlorophyll, making it an excellent source of dietary fiber, potassium, iron, protein, and magnesium. Matcha is also very low in calories, so it won’t add much to your calorie intake. Ultimately, matcha provides a delicious, earthy flavor and plenty of health-promoting benefits.
What you’re going to need!
- Matcha Powder
- Hot/Boiling Water
- Vanilla Simple Syrup
- Mineral or Seltzer Water
- Heavy Cream or Plant-Based Creamer
Tips for making this Matcha Italian Cream Soda
To make sure the matcha fully incorporates we use hot or boiling water to mix it before adding everything cold. This helps avoid clumps. I usually just use my countertop kettle for a little splash of boiling water and it works wonders!
If you are dairy free like me, feel free to use your favorite plant-based creamer. It’s best to use a vanilla flavor if you want it to be cohesive with the vanilla syrup, but you do you!
There will be a quick method for making vanilla syrup at the beginning of the recipe below!
Watch me make a Matcha Italian Cream Soda in the video to the left!
Other fun treats!
Matcha Italian Cream Soda
- 1/2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tbsp hot/boiling water
- 2 tbsp vanilla simple syrup recipe below
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 Topo Chico mineral water or seltzer water
- 1/4 cup plant based creamer this is what I used or heavy cream
- First make your vanilla simple syrup by mixing 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pot over medium heat. Let the sugar melt all the way, then remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla extract. Store in a glass jar on the counter to use for about 5 of these.
- Next, in the bottom of a 16oz glass mix your matcha powder and hot water and whisk together until the matcha is no longer clumpy.
- Now add the ice to your cup and pour over the mineral or seltzer water. Top this off with your plant based creamer or heavy cream and mix with a straw.
- To make sure the matcha fully incorporates we use hot or boiling water to mix it before adding everything cold. This helps avoid clumps. I usually just use my countertop kettle for a little splash of boiling water and it works wonders!